Wednesday, April 30, 2014

FW: The Importance of Walking

These are good............


The Importance of walking
A walk can add minutes to your life. This enables you at 85 years old to spend an additional 5 months in a Nursing Home at $4,000 per month.

My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 60. Now he's 97 years old and we have no idea where the hell he is.

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

The only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

I have to walk early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

The advantage of exercising every day is so when you die, they'll say, 'Well, he looks good doesn't he.'

I do have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them.

If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

I know I got a lot of exercise the last few years,...Just getting over the hill.

We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Every time I start thinking too much about how I look, I just find a pub with a Happy Hour and by the time I leave, I look just fine.

You could run this over to your friends but just e-mail it to them! It will save you the walk!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014


One of the wonderful things about living in the rural South, any time a tree falls across the road some Good Ole Boy will show up to help.

I live in an older home and my lawn is covered with grand old massive oak trees, which I love but a high wind always covers the yard with blown down limbs. Last night’s storms and tornados caused the entire top of one to break off and fall across the road in front of my house. All that’s left of the original tree is a 15 foot trunk with no limbs, picture a massive fence post and you got it.

When I posted about it on Facebook last night my niece replied that if it hadn’t been moved out of the road by the time her fiancĂ©’s brother got home this afternoon (who lives down the road from me) he would bring his chain saw and help. This morning another neighbor brought his tractor equipped with a front-end loader and moved the tree out of the road, and this afternoon my nephew Duane (Donna’s eldest) came over and started cutting it up until the rain made him stop.

I’m blessed with wonderful neighbors, friends and family and I wouldn’t take anything for my country life.

Saturday, April 26, 2014


"Retirement Boosts Your Risk of Depression by 40 Percent According to a new report released by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA),1 following an initial boost in health, retirement increases your risk of clinical depression by 40 percent while raising your chances of being diagnosed with a physical condition by 60 percent. It also: •Reduces your likelihood of being in self-reported excellent or very good health by 40 percent •Raises your risk of taking medication for a diagnosed physical condition by 60 percent The study’s author, who called retirement’s impacts on health “drastic,” suggested a later retirement age may actually be preferable, noting: 2 “New research presented in this paper indicates that being retired decreases physical, mental and self-assessed health. The adverse effects increase as the number of years spent in retirement increases.”
Seems like my forced retirement might not be all that enjoyable. Nothing to do, nowhere to go and no money nor anyone to do it with.