Saturday, May 17, 2014

OUT OF A JOB

This is it, the end of life as I know it.
I've worked all my life but starting Monday morning I'll be out of a job. Compulsory retirement. Used abused and tossed away like a snotty Kleenex. 35 years invested in a career and suddenly I'm unemployed (along with hundreds of other mill employees). I understand about business but that doesn't help, especially when our plant made more profit than any other in our sector last year.
I could go back to school but after getting a 2 year degree I'll be 60-61 and who wants to hire an old woman? Plus I was interested in computer programming/security and I've been informed in no uncertain terms that "it's a young person's field".
I have no social life outside of work. All my friends are married and their husbands consider a single woman a threat.
I don't date, haven't in years. Most of the men my age aren't interested in women my age.
I won't have money to travel like I dreamed in my retirement fantasies.
Enough bitching; time to put on my big girl panties and get on with it. Donna says that I can join her in a life of leisure and poverty. Guess that's my new life plan….

1 comment:

yellowdoggranny said...

I am so sorry that you are being tossed aside...your job doesn't define you. you have wonderful skills, and being you is the best. you could sell your beautiful quilts.ride the bus to West we'll get in a shit load of trouble.