Tuesday, November 29, 2005

TWINKLE, TWINKLE LITTLE STAR

Driving in to work this morning I was admiring all the Christmas lights and decorations that have sprung up since Thanksgiving. Most of the houses I pass are starting to look quite festive. It's almost enough to put me in the holiday mood. BUT I kept punching the "scan" button on the radio trying to escape all the same old Christmas carols. Don't get me wrong, I like "Dashing Through The Snow", "Chestnuts Roasting Over An Open Fire" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" as much as the next person. But enough is enough people, it's not even December yet.

Ever notice how the stars seem so much brighter and closer when the weather is cold? The rain is gone, chased away by a cold front. At 4:30 AM the sky was crystal clear and packed full of twinkling stars that put the Christmas lights to shame. No matter how much we spend on lights and trimmings, nothing can touch Mother Nature when it comes to lavish displays.

It's the simple pleasures like star gazing and children's hugs that make life worthwhile. I almost pulled over to the side of the road to admire the show but work was calling and I had to go.

No comments: