Friday, September 02, 2005

LEXAPRO

Do I seem depressed to y'all? My doctor seems to think so, she's put me on Lexapro, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). I didn't think I needed any medical help, but she talked me into trying it to see if it made a difference. All I told her was that I was sleeping a lot and feeling "blah". Of course, I've been telling her that for most of this year. It's been a bad year with losing both parents, loads of overtime, man problems, and the family feuding. Damn, I hate meds of any kind and I despise being dependent on anything. Old age sucks.

I've been looking on the web and this stuff is scary. The side effects are nausea, insomnia, ejaculation disorder, somnolence, increased sweating, fatigue, decreased libido, and anorgasmia { an inhibition of the orgasmic phase of the sexual response cycle}. SSRIs have a very high incidence of sexual side effects, which can sometimes persist indefinitely after discontinuation. Like I needed that! Wait, it gets better..."patients should be cautioned regarding the risk of bleeding associated with the concomitant use of Lexapro with NSAIDs, aspirin, or other drugs that affect coagulation". And this stuff is supposed to be less invasive that any of the other meds on the market. It also has withdrawal symptoms like possibility of an increased risk for suicidal behavior , somatic and psychological withdrawal symptoms, a phenomenon known as "SSRI discontinuation syndrome. And it's not even going to give me a buzz!

If I start acting crazy y'all let me know. Some of the Lexapro forums sound like there's no up side to taking it, but then again people who are doing well don't seem to post on them. I know lots of folks on SSRIs and they're all doing fine. One of my sisters has been on Lexapro for ages and another one is taking Prozac. Maybe it's genetic, I've been told that my family "ain't right".

So far all I've had is a queasy stomach, but I've been on it less than a week. If I gain much weight I'm getting off of it. I don't any more padding on my ample behind!! I'll let y'all know if anything worth reporting happens.

1 comment:

Trée said...

Hey Junny, just wanted to stop by and say hello. Hope you've been feeling better. Hugs and kisses.