We need this done before January 18th 2007.
Most of us never had to build our union. Others who came before us organized it. Today, workers trying to organize are often subjected to illegal activities by the boss to stop them from forming a union.
Most companies today whose workers want to exercise their right to form a union hire "union busters." These high priced lawyers are specialists at intimidation of workers. They routinely advise their clients to break the law by terminating union leaders, knowing they may never even be punished. Then, even if workers overcome all of the scare tactics and illegal firings, chances are the boss will never negotiate a contract with the workers.
The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) will give workers the ability to form a union in the workplace freely. This bill that was nearly passed in the House last session will:
1) Guarantee that if a majority of workers in a workplace sign a union card they have their union;
2) Provide stiff penalties for employers who break the law during organizing campaigns by their workers, and
3) Mandate that any first contracts not approved in a reasonable amount of time go to an arbitrator for final decision.
Take action today to pass the EFCA.
1. Check the attached list to see if your Representative is already a co-sponsor.
2. If not, call your Representative and tell them to co-sponsor the EFCA by calling Rep. George Miller's office and adding their name.
3. If / When your Representative has co-sponsored, call your U.S. Senators and tell them to do the same by calling Sen. Kennedy's office.
4. Report to your Rapid Response District Coordinator on new co-sponsors. (number & email at bottom)
When you call, tell your Representatives and Senators:
*1 in 5 leaders of union organizing campaigns are illegally fired.
*The EFCA will level playing field for workers to organize.
*This is America and no one should fear for their job just for trying to form a union!
Representatives Already Co-sponsoring EFCA ~ Representative/District /State
Conyers, Jr. /MI-14
USW Rapid Response (412) 562-2291
It's Time to Bust the Union Busters!