Tuesday, August 16, 2005

PAINTING MEMORIES

We have all, on occasion, had artistic dreams. You know the ones, where you write poetry and verse that bring tears to people’s eyes, pen a best selling novel, compose and/or perform music that thrill the listener’s heart or maybe paint canvasses that depict nature and portraits so lifelike that they take viewer’s breath away.

For me that’s as far as it ever got. I don’t have an artistic bone in my body. I’ve never been what you would call graceful or had any kind of talent. Heck, I can’t even dance without stepping on my partner’s toes. For instance, I’m not tone deaf so when I sing I can actually hear how bad and out of tune I am. Of course that doesn’t stop me from singing up a storm and dancing around the house (although I do have enough consideration for others to not do so with company).

Image hosted by Photobucket.comBut the other day for the first time I felt like Picasso, Van Gough and Monet all rolled into one. Let me tell you, nothing beats the joy of sitting in the floor painting your heart out with a 5 year old (that’s the only age that I can outdo in the artistic department!).

We had an old plastic tablecloth spread out in the living room floor, an entire ream of paper, a brand new 24-color set of water paints, a wide assortment of brushes and an entire afternoon in which to get creative.

In an hour there were pictures of every description (and a few that defied description!) scattered all over the place. Every couple of minutes I heard Drennon say “Nana, LOOK What I did” as he held up his latest abstract creation for my approval. The little feller looked like an Indian gone on the warpath with multicolor dots and dabs and stripes and splashes all over him. Good thing his Nana was smart enough to strip him down to his skivvies (Batman Boxers) before we started.

The ego trip was when Drennon would look at one of my painting and say “Show me how, mine’s not as good as yours”! I’ve never had anyone say my painting was good except when it came to painting the walls of the house (which is not nearly as much fun). He actually carried one of MY pictures home with him!!

So if you need an ego boost, just go and play with a kid! It’ll be good for both of you and the memories will last a lifetime. After all, when we’re gone all that’ll be left of us is the memories that our friends and loved ones carry in their hearts. Have you played today??

No comments: