Wednesday, August 10, 2005

SEEING RED

Well, the redheads have it. A higher tolerance for pain that is! It seems that the hue of your hairdo defines the amount of pain you can withstand!! I quote:

Scientists from the University of Edinburgh are examining a gene mutation that, along with causing red hair, also gives women with the coloration a higher pain threshold than others. The mutation does not seem to have the same effect for male redheads. It is hoped the study will lead to new anesthetics and pain-killing drugs.

The painkilling effect has been found to be three times greater for redheaded women than for blondes, brunettes, or men. Differences in the way male and female brains process pain may explain the gender inconsistency. Researchers may now be able to locate new biochemical pathways that can be used to develop better pain medication.

.
I wonder if having reddish brown hair counts? I hope so, since that's what I've got under the highlights. I'd place money that dyeing your tresses won't help your arthritis any, damn it.

My Dad was redheaded, but they say that men are immune for some reason. I've got a redheaded sister, but she whines so much about everything that it's hard to tell if being redheaded helps in any way other than giving her a reason for having a temper.

What do y'all think? Any redheads out there that want to testify? Ain't science wonderful, we learn all kinds of off-the-wall things. Reckon where they got funding for this research? How the heck did they come up with the idea anyway?

My heads spinning with all this wondering and I'm getting jealous of my least favorite sister so I think I'll go back to pretending to work before any of the guys wonder if I'm OK. Later, Gater.

No comments: