Thursday, October 06, 2005

HOW CLOSE IS THAT TRUCK IN THE MIRROR?

When you think of multitasking you picture a businessman on the beach with his laptop and cell phone in use, or maybe a soccer mom in a minivan with kids in several activities at once. Those are safe multitasking acts. The guy who was behind me on the way to work was a wreck waiting to happen.

I was sitting in traffic, waiting at a red light when I heard the squeal of vigorously applied brakes behind me. I glanced into my rear view mirror and saw an older, jacked-up Toyota 4X4 with fading and peeling gray paint coming up behind me IN A HURRY.

The guy driving was smoking, talking on his cell phone, downshifting a straight shift and driving all at the same time. He didn't appear to be
worried about anything but he sure scared the crap out of me.

There I was, trapped with nowhere to go and this idiot who's trying to do a dozen things at once is barreling up behind me. The reason I got a good look at the truck and it's crazed occupant is because all I could do was stare at him in the mirror and pray. I felt like I imagine a rat who was hypnotized by a snake and was waiting for the death stroke would feel. Totally and completely helpless.

He stopped a hair from my bumper ( I know this because my car is low and I could see HIS bumper in my back window) and acted like nothing was wrong. I hate people like that! He never stopped talking and sat flicking his cigarette ashes out the window until the light changed. Needless to say I got in another lane and out of his line of fire.

All that and my washing machine died today. How was your day?

No comments: