Sunday, May 07, 2006

HOOTY HOOT HOOT

As I stumbled out the door at 4:15 this morning, eyes at half mast and more asleep than awake, I was scared jerked awaked by a hoot owl screaming at me. Not just any old barnyard owl, either, this was the James Earl Jones of hoot owls with a loud, deep voice (do birds have voices?) that practically echoed across the carport.

Think Darth Vader with big eyes and feathers. A bird with a demon voice, deep as the voice of God. Oh yeah, that was him! Every hair on the back of my neck stood straight up and I froze for a full minute before reacting. Surprise factor and all, I don't want y'all to think I'm a wuss or anything.

I never saw the Screaming Meany but I swear he sounded like he was right next to my head! My heart jumped up in my throat, I spun around on one foot and was almost back inside before my brain kicked into gear and I figured out what the heck was yelling at me!

There are tons of superstitions about owls. Here in the South, they're a bad omen, harbringers of doom and death. Hearing one nearby or seeing either a raven, crow or owl perched on a rooftop is supposed to mean someone will soon pass away.

Of course any bad omen has it's counter-measures. To counter evil owl power, put irons in your fire. Or throw salt, hot peppers or vinegar into the fire, the owl will get a sore tongue, hoot no more, and no one close to you will be in trouble. When you hear an owl, take off your clothes, turn them inside out and put them back on (You might not want to do this if you are in public).
But there is one superstition that's good - good for us women that is.
Any man who eats roasted owl will be obedient and a slave to his wife.

I had to get to work, so I didn't have time to take any of these preventive measures this morning, NOT THAT I BELIEVE IN SUPERSTITIONS ....... but you can never be too careful. I DO have a brush pile that needs burned. Lets see - I know Dad had some scrap metal at the shop ....... there's vinegar and peppers at the house ....... and I can always turn my clothes inside out for a bit.

I ain't a'scared of no owl - but then again, it never hurts to honor tradition.......

2 comments:

Vanda said...

Giggle it's always, always better to follow tradition.

anonymous jones said...

Thanks Junebugg for your help! I started again in a different spot and at least something is showing up. Now all I have to do is figure out the one-click blogrolling thing, but in the mean time I'm adding yours manually. I've been hours on it!!!

Roasted owl for din-dins tonight!