Friday, October 06, 2006

STEPPING OUT

This article in The New York Times scared me into getting off the couch and on my feet. In particular this quote made my heart go pitty-pat and not in a good way:
The researchers published their data in the May 3 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, finding that being unable to walk a quarter mile within five minutes portended troubles. For each minute beyond five, the risk of dying in the next four years increased by a third, the risk of having a heart attack
increased by 20 percent, and the risk of having a disability increased by half. Those who took more than six minutes for the quarter-mile walk had the same risk of dying or having a heart attack as those who could not walk the distance at all, and the effect was independent of age.

What's really scary is the fact that my Mom was bed-ridden by the time she was in her mid-60s and dead before she reached 70. Damn, I'm pushing 51 hard and heavy! Most of that shit is hereditary and as much as I love my family our genetics don't bode well for longevity. My maternal grandfather died of a massive heart attack in his early thirties as did several cousins, and the rest of our kin usually kick the bucket anywhere from 50 to 75!!

I do believe it's time to break out my walking shoes and go visit Mother Nature. I can walk and look at the changing colors, the weather is much nicer to get outdoors without breaking a sweat; plus it'll help get my tired old heart and my wobbly ass in better shape.

Who's up for a hike and a picnic?

No comments: