Wednesday, March 29, 2006

BATTLING FATHER TIME & HUMAN NATURE

OK, I'll confess. I'm on a health kick and in a battle with Father Time. I'm 50 now, and neither side of my family is long lived. Hell, my maternal Grandfather died of a massive heart attack at the ripe old age of 33. Mom was in her late 60's and Dad was mid-70's when they passed away, so I gotta get with the program if I want to hang around long enough to be a feisty little old lady. I already have an under-active thyroid, pre-diabetic syndrome, and high blood pressure, so the cards are stacked against me from the start.

I haven't smoked in several weeks. Well, I did cheat a time or two but damn it, I'm trying. Smoking is one of the hardest things to give up that I know of. Wish me luck, I stopped once for 6 months but then family shit hit the fan and down I went. Let's hope I have more will power this time. I know I walked the floor last night, peeking into cabinets and the 'fridge, when I really wanted to smoke, not eat.

I visited Gloria's Good Health today and loaded up. I've got Pau d'Arco tea, Rooibos Tea (Red Bush Tea), Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera biennis L.) and various vitamins. I don't know about the Pau d'Arco and Red Bush teas, but I took Evening Primrose before and my skin and hair was the healthiest they had ever been. I ran out of pills and never bought anymore. I know, I procrastinate too much. I'm trying to do better.

I've also gotta shed a few pounds. Actually more than a few, but I'll settle for a few now and work my way up down in time. Which means I need to get off my more-than-ample hindquarters and put a few miles on the old tennis shoes. Thank God the days are getting longer, because I didn't have time to do anything much all winter.

This IS NOT going to become a weight loss blog, that'd be too boring. I just wanted to put it out there so I won't have any reason to backslide. If everyone knows, I'd feel much more guilty. I know that doesn't make any sense but it's different if someone besides me knows that I messed up.

So now I've 'fessed up and you all know that I'm trying to do better. Place your bets now and we'll see how I do. Karen is going to be my coach, cheerleader and tormenter. I believe that she's looking forward to chewing me out when if I backslide.

No comments: